Finkenberg injures meniscus, needs surgery

ANOTHER BLOW: ASU sophomore Evan Finkenberg (62) and the rest of the Sun Devil offense walk up to the line of scrimmage during ASU’s win over UC Davis on Sept. 1. Finkenberg will be out for four to six weeks due to a knee injury. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out photos from Saturday's game against OSU in this slideshow.

OR

Were you in the stands at the ASU v OSU game? See if you can find yourself or your friends in this fan slideshow.

Injuries have become a constant theme around the 2011 Sun Devils, and sophomore left tackle Evan Finkenberg can now be added to the list.

Finkenberg hurt his meniscus in Saturday’s game against Oregon State and will have surgery on Wednesday. Senior center Garth Gerhart is already listed questionable for Saturday’s game at Utah, meaning the offensive line will be featuring two new starters.

“It’s unfortunate, but it’s expected,” senior lineman Dan Knapp said. “Injuries unfortunately, do happen. I know what it feels like to go out there, play, get injured and come back and you know, make a great come back and be more healthy so that’s what those guys are doing, rehabbing and hopefully they will be back out here soon.”

Finkenberg is expected to be out for four to six weeks.

Injuries and players leaving may be the familiar motif, but senior guard Adam Tello returned to practice Tuesday, a few weeks after he had decided to leave football.

Tello, who left football because of back injuries, asked the coaching staff to return.

“He felt like with the situation the way it is, he could come back and help so he decided to come back and play,” coach Dennis Erickson said. “The thing about Adam Tello, he’s all for the team and he’ll do whatever he can. It’s strange how things change pretty fast.”

Pickens praised

The ASU offense has a lot of fast and talented players. Since there are so many athletes able to do great things with the ball, it is often easy to forget about some of the up-and-comers.

One of the often ignored players is junior wide receiver A.J. Pickens, who had three receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown against Oregon State.

“AJ is a player who has a great skill set,” junior quarterback Brock Osweiler said. “He brings a lot of talent to the table. AJ stepped in, had a couple great plays Saturday night. He is a guy who over the years has contributed in smaller doses, but when we’ve needed him, when his number has been called, he always steps up to the plate and makes big plays.”

Miles picks up conference honor

As the No. 22 Sun Devils continue to climb the polls, they gain recognition as a team. However, they also have individuals gaining recognition as junior wide receiver Jamal Miles was named the Pac-12’s Special Teams Player of the Week.

“I would need a book to describe Jamal,” Osweiler said. “He can do it all. Jamal does it all. He might be the best athlete I’ve ever been around in my life. The things that he does and as many tackles as he avoids to make people miss, it’s just fun to watch the kid. He’s a true talent, he works very hard in the offseason and he’s a great football player.”

Miles is the only player in the country to return a punt for a touchdown, return a kickoff for a touchdown, throw a touchdown pass and have a touchdown reception.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×