Freshman Houlihan making cross-country impact

Shelby Houlihan isn't like most runners. Most runners don't have parents with decorated racing backgrounds.

Houlihan, however, had her inspiration in-house.

“My mom was a world-class marathon runner, so she got me into running,” Houlihan said.

It's a good thing for the ASU women's cross country team that Houlihan was introduced to competitive running, and it's paying off in the early part of her freshman year.

In her first race of her collegiate career, Houlihan was the top finisher for the Sun Devils, finishing in 24th place with a time of 21:18 at the Roy Griak Invitational.

“I do predictions before every race and I think I had her predicted between 21st and 23rd,” women's coach Ryan Cole said.

Already it’s clear the Sun Devils have big expectations from Houlihan, a highly recruited runner from Sioux City, Iowa, she chose ASU over Oklahoma State.

Cole is pleased she made the decision to run for the Sun Devils.

“There were a lot of variables in place,” Cole said. “We have a very balanced track and field and cross country teams. We are one of the very few schools in the NCAA with a very good historical record in NCAA championships for women's cross country, women's indoor track, and women's outdoor track.

“Plus she likes sunshine, palm trees, and wants to be good so she thought it was a good fit for her to be good.”

But more than anything, Houlihan just wants a chance to compete and win.

“I'm just naturally extremely competitive and I like to win. I work as hard as it takes to get it done,” Houlihan said.

Houlihan is one of eight freshmen competing this year for the Sun Devils, but has stood out from the beginning.

Her long list of high school awards include being twice named National Scholastic Sports Foundation All-American, 2010-11 Gatorade Iowa Girls Track & Field Athlete of the Year, 2010 Gatorade/ESPN Rise Iowa Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year, and 2011 Sioux City Journal Metro Female Athlete of the Year.

Houlihan said she outpaced every runner on her team in high school, and is excited to run with a group that helps her improve.

“It's just nice to have a team. In high school, I was training by myself and now everyone pushes each other,” Houlihan said.

The natural competition is good for Houlihan and the Sun Devils as they push toward the National Championships. The next couple of races will be key for the Sun Devils’ bid and coach Cole is happy with Houlihan's progression.

“She was a little tight and tentative at first, but she settled in and did a great job of staying composed and dialed in and she will continue to get better as the year goes on,” Cole said.

As for her future with the Sun Devils?

“We are excited to see all of our girls improve, but you will probably see Shelby Houlihan run very competitively for us,” Cole said.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×