Police Beat: Oct. 13

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• An 18-year-old Queen Creek man was arrested Tuesday at Broadway Road and McClintock Drive on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

A Tempe Police officer pulled the man over for making a wide right turn onto Broadway Road from Dorsey Lane, police reported.

When the officer approached the vehicle, the man appeared very nervous with bloodshot eyes and the officer could smell marijuana in the vehicle, according to the report.

The officer requested for a drug-certified K-9 to come to the scene for assistance in detecting any drugs in the vehicle, police reported. After the K-9 alerted the officer of several spots around the car the officer searched the vehicle and found a small baggy under the driver’s seat with marijuana in it as well as an orange pill bottle that had three unidentified pills in it, according to the report.

The officer also found a cup on the floorboard of the passenger seat with two more baggies containing marijuana residue and also found a multi-colored pipe with marijuana residue in the trunk, police reported.

The man took responsibility for the items since it was his vehicle but claimed he did not know how the items got in there, according to the report.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail, police reported.

• A 23-year-old Pima woman was arrested Monday at Hardy Drive and Southern Avenue on suspicion of narcotic drugs possession and driving under the influence, according to a police report.

Tempe Police officers were investigating a two-vehicle collision at the intersection, police reported.

It was apparent the woman driver of one of the vehicles was intoxicated and she was placed under arrest, according to the report.

The officer conducted a search of her person and found seven 10 milligram white rectangular pills that were confirmed by poison control to be a Schedule II narcotic, police reported.

The woman said they were Neurontin, also known as gabapentin, and she takes the pills for her nerve pain because of her osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, according to the report.

The officer asked why the pills weren’t in a prescription bottle but the woman said she left the bottle at home in Safford, Ariz., police reported.

The woman was cited and released on her DUI charge but booked and released pending her narcotic possession charge, according to the report.

×