Police Beat: Oct. 17

ASU Police reported the following incidents Friday:

An unknown person or persons robbed the home of 62-year-old man on the Polytechnic campus Monday, according to a police report.

The man went to work mid-afternoon and upon returning in the evening discovered his 42-inch Sanyo TV, iLive Speaker bar and Dell laptop were missing, police reported. The man also saw the bedroom window screen was missing and the window itself was pushed off its tracks, according to the report.

An ASU Police officer noted the “jammed” window but couldn’t identify any fingerprints near the point of entry, police reported. The officer did find shoe impressions on a desk under the window, which he believed belonged to the intruder, according to the report.

The officer found a closed, unlocked door but the man said all the doors in the house were locked with nothing else missing, police reported.

The man told the officer the television and sound bar were purchased only a week prior to the burglary and was able to provide a serial number for the television but not the laptop or sound bar, according to the report.

The man said he did not notice any suspicious activity around his neighborhood around the time he purchased the items but his neighbors did watch him drive his television home, police reported.

No suspects or witnesses have come forward at this time but the man is willing to aid in prosecution, according to the report.

A female ASU student was issued a citation Thursday on suspicion of underage drinking in the area of Paseo Del Saber and East Apache Boulevard, according to a police report.

The woman’s friend notified ASU Police after the woman told the friend she had cut herself, which the friend misunderstood as an intentional suicide attempt, police reported.

An ASU Police officer arrived and noticed the woman’s upper right arm bandaged with blood still showing through, according to the report.

The woman told the officer she was walking near Adelphi Commons when she cut her arm on a sharp piece of a black Nissan xTerra with front-end damage, police reported.

When the woman told the officer her story, he noticed her speech was slurred, was swaying slightly and her eyes were bloodshot and watery, according to the report.

The officer ran a check of the woman’s license and confirmed her license was suspended from a previous incident of driving under the influence, police reported.

Tempe Fire arrived to the scene to aid the woman but said she would rather take a cab to the hospital and refused police transport, according to the report.

The woman was also told she could not get her license back because she was not allowed to have it and that he could smell an odor of an intoxicating beverage on her breath, police reported.

The woman said she had not had any alcohol that evening and the officer must have smelled alcohol on her friends who were 20 feet away, according to the report.

The woman refused to take a breathalyzer test so the officer took an ambient reading of the air near the woman’s chin with a Dräger Alcotest 6510, which confirmed a positive presence of alcohol on the woman, police reported.

The woman was arrested and issued a citation for being under 21 with alcohol in the body and afterward the woman was released but refused an arrangement with a cab, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×