Police Beat: Oct. 18

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

• A 31-year-old Chandler man was arrested Thursday on suspicion of forgery, possession of a narcotic by fraud and possession of a narcotic by fraud attempt at a Walgreens Pharmacy, according to a police report.The man submitted a forged prescription for Oxycodone at the pharmacy on the 1700 block of East Southern Avenue after taking a prescription pad from a doctor’s office at an earlier time, police reported.

The Walgreens Pharmacy employee attempted to verify the prescription but was unable to do so, police reported. The doctor’s office contacted Tempe Police, according to the report.

When police detained the man for forgery and attempted forgery the man admitted to the officers he had taken the prescription pad without consent and was using it to obtain the prescription drugs, police reported.

The man admitted to submitting a prescription to a different Walgreens Pharmacy about a month prior for the same amount of pills, according to the report. Police verified with the previous pharmacy the man had submitted the prescription on Sept. 16, police reported.

The man was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report. The man was held on the charges and was also held for an outstanding misdemeanor warrant, police reported.

• An 18-year-old man was arrested Saturday on suspicion of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession at the light rail platform near College Avenue and East Veterans Way, according to a police report.The man was headed eastbound on the light rail when a Tempe Police officer asked the man if he had a valid fare pass for the train, which he did not, police reported.

While the officer was speaking to the man on the train, the officer could smell an odor of marijuana on the man, according to the report.

The man and the officer exited the train onto the platform and the officer asked the man when was the last time he had smoked marijuana, according to the report. The man said he had smoked just before getting on the train in Phoenix, police reported.

The officer asked the man to empty his pockets and the man removed a half burnt marijuana joint and handed it to the officer, according to the report.

The man was placed under arrest while the officer conducted a search of his person and found a baggie containing marijuana and rolling papers, police reported.

The man admitted the marijuana was his and that he had smoked half of the joint in Phoenix and was planning on smoking the rest at a later time, according to the report.

The man was released pending drug charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu.

×