Police Beat: Oct. 24

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Friday:

• A 21-year-old transient man was arrested Thursday at the 1800 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of shoplifting and removal as well as possession of drug paraphernalia, marijuana, narcotic drugs and dangerous drugs, according to a police report.A loss and prevention officer at Target saw the man remove a pair of headphones from its packaging and hide the item in his pants, police reported.

As the man attempted to walk out of the store without paying, the prevention officer stopped the man and notified Tempe Police, according to the report.

After police arrived, they conducted a search of the man’s backpack and found a cellophane wrapper with cocaine in it, a wooden box containing a spring loaded metal pipe and marijuana, several plastic baggies, a baggie containing mushrooms, and a glass container with several Adderall, clonazepam and Flexeril pills, police reported.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail, held on misdemeanor charges but was released pending felony charges, according to the report.

• A 20-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Thursday at South 48th Street and West Fairmont Avenue on suspicion of being a minor in possession of alcohol, minor in consumption, having an open container in a vehicle, possession of narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.Tempe Police pulled the man over for running a red light but as the officer approached the vehicle he noticed a 1.75 liter bottle of Grey Goose vodka in plain sight on the floorboard of the backseat of the man’s vehicle, police reported.

The officer conducted a search of the man’s person and found a plastic baggie containing cocaine, according to the report.

The man had a distinct odor of alcohol on his breath and told the officer he had been drinking, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and was released pending drug charges, according to the report.

• A 36-year-old transient woman was arrested Tuesday at North 28th Street and East Earll Drive on suspicion of drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.A Tempe Police officer saw the woman replacing the license plate on her 2006 Kia Sorento with a license plate she had obtained from another vehicle, police reported.

A background check of the woman’s actual license plate revealed two felony warrants from Maricopa County and Yavapai County so the officer stopped and arrested the woman, according to the report.

During the woman’s arrest the officer searched the vehicle and found a backpack containing a used syringe with a clear substance in it, police reported.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and was found to be in possession of methamphetamines, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×