Police Beat: Oct. 26

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 19-year-old Tempe man was arrested Sunday afternoon at the Enclave Apartment complex near Dorsey Lane and Southern Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault after he pointed a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun at a person, according to a police report.

The person told police the man pointed the gun at him and threatened to shoot after a physical altercation between them in one of the apartments, police reported. The man said he had no recollection of the events because he had been drinking, according to the report.

The aggravated assault allegedly occurred at about 5 a.m., but the man refused to exit the apartment until a SWAT team announced entry with a search warrant at approximately noon, police reported. The man claimed he had no recollection of any police presence before exiting the apartment, according to the report.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and released pending the charge, police reported.

A 20-year-old Tempe man was arrested Sunday afternoon at the Enclave Apartments near Dorsey Lane and Southern Avenue on suspicion of possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Police originally responded to the residence after a neighbor observed a person pointing a gun at individuals and some of the subjects involved were seen going back into an apartment, police reported. It was unknown how many people were inside the apartment and the man was not seen with a weapon, according to the report.

The subjects inside the apartment refused to exit and the SWAT team responded, police reported.  Eventually the man and another subject exited the apartment without incident, according to report.

The man stated he was not aware of the large presence of police outside his apartment and stayed inside until he was aware of the magnitude of police presence outside his apartment and after hearing commands over the speaker ordering them out of the apartment, police reported.

A search warrant was served on the man’s apartment and officers found the glass bong, which had marijuana residue in it in the man’s bathroom, according to police reports. In addition, a useable quantity of a substance identified by trained officers as marijuana was found in the bedroom, police reported.

After waiving his Miranda Rights, the man confessed he had two Adderall pills in his bedroom and does not have an Adderall prescription, claiming he used the drug to help him study, according to the report.

He admitted after post-Miranda to possessing a glass bong, which he uses to smoke marijuana, according to the report.

The man stated he smoked marijuana using the glass bong inside his bathroom and does not possess a medical marijuana card, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City jail and released pending drug charges, according to the police report.

Reports compiled by Dan Oberhaus. Reach the reporter at doberhau@asu.edu

×