Police Beat: Oct. 6

Tempe Police reported the following incidents on Wednesday:

• A 22-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Sunday on Mill Avenue and 10th Street on suspicion of driving on a suspended license and failing to register as a sex offender, according to a police report.Police stopped the man after he made a wide left turn from Ash Street onto University Drive, police reported. When police spoke with the man, he admitted he was driving with a suspended license and had numerous warrants for the same offense, according to the report.

Police ran a warrants and license check on the man which revealed he was also a sex offender and had failed to register his new address as such, police reported.

The man told police he was fearful of registration because he didn’t want to be arrested for his outstanding warrants, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking and was held to see a judge, police reported.

• A 21-year-old Chandler man was arrested Tuesday evening on suspicion of trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of narcotic drugs at the 500 block of East University Drive, according to a police report.Police went to the 700 block of South College Avenue after a store manager complained of the man trespassing, police reported.

When police arrived, the man fled to avoid arrest for two outstanding felony probation warrants from the Maricopa County Superior Court, police reported.

After a short pursuit on foot, the police detained the man and conducted a search of his backpack where they found a Ziploc bag with multiple used syringe needles containing residue, and they also found a small metal spoon with “black tar” heroin residue, according to the report.

The man admitted to using the items for heroin use and had injected the drug earlier in the day, police reported. The man was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

While in jail, police conducted a search of the man’s person to ensure he was not in possession of other contraband, police reported. During the search a jail employee observed a small piece of white plastic sticking out of the man’s rectum, police reported.

When the employee questioned the man about the item the man inserted the piece of plastic further into his rectum and said nothing was in there, according to the report.

The man was taken to Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital for medical review, according to the report.

A hospital nurse noticed the man adjusting himself on the bed and saw the piece of white plastic in his hand, police reported.

Police searched the bed after the man denied having anything illegal on him and found the piece of plastic knotted up with approximately 1 gram of heroin, according to the report.

The man was transported back to Tempe City Jail for booking and was held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×