Student drowns at Tempe campus swimming complex

This article has been updated. Click here

An ASU student and former swim team member drowned at the University’s swimming complex Monday morning while trespassing on University property.

James Rigg and Andrew Schneller, both 22, hopped the wall surrounding the Mona Plummer Aquatic Complex in Tempe at around 1:30 a.m. to go swimming, ASU Police Cmdr. Jim Hardina said.

During their swim, Schneller, an ASU graduate, noticed Rigg lying at the bottom of the pool, Hardina said. Schneller pulled Rigg out of the water, performed CPR and eventually called 911.

Rigg was transported to Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital where he was pronounced dead at around 3 a.m., Hardina said.

Schneller, also a former ASU swimmer, told police both had been drinking before the swim, he said. Police arrested Schneller for trespassing and released him with a citation.

The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s office determined the cause of death to be an accidental drowning, but the case is still open.

Hardina could not provide Rigg’s blood alcohol content.

The University released a statement on the incident saying ASU expresses its condolences to Rigg’s family and friends.

“ASU has provided counseling services to the students and others who knew the individual to help them deal with their grief and sense of loss,” the statement said.

Rigg, a transfer student from the University of Wyoming, swam for ASU during the 2009-10 season. He recorded a career-best time of 49.11 in the 100 fly at the Pac-10 Championships. He was from Niwot, Colo.

Schneller, a teammate of Rigg during the 2009-10 season, graduated from Mesquite High School in Gilbert.

×