Every administration fights scandals and rumors of scandals. From Watergate to Pardongate and Lawyergate to the Whitewater scandal, the rivers of scandals in politics run deep.

The Obama administration has been fighting its share, but it has been amazing to me that so many people are unaware of “Operation Fast & Furious” and its emerging scandal.

Since the operation came to light, Attorney General Eric Holder has been an “artful dodger,” denying the existence of the operation, stating that his knowledge of the scandal and cover-up didn’t start until the last few weeks of April, all while evidence shows that Holder knew about the operation as early as last year.

Statements delivered by Holder and President Barack Obama directly contradict each other, leaving inquisitive minds to wonder where the truth really lies, and if we’ll ever find it.

First, Holder said he received memos late, now he’s saying his staff didn’t inform him of the memos at all, which were specifically addressed to the Attorney General. The President stated in an interview with CNN Español in March that he had “heard on the news about this story that — Fast and Furious, where allegedly guns were being run into Mexico, and ATF knew about it, but didn't apprehend those who had sent it."

So, who is telling the truth here? Did Obama know about this operation long before the media sniffed it out? Has Holder been perjuring himself in his testimony before the Senate and House regarding this matter?

In analyzing this entire situation, it’s difficult to overlook the fact that this operation was a terrible idea from the start, and the operation’s even more terrible execution has created a national and international scandal.

Both Americans and Mexicans have died directly from the ATF’s dropping of this important ball. If knowledge of the operation and its failure does go as high as the attorney general, or even the president, what kind of action can and should be taken?

Should there be resignations, impeachments and criminal trials? It’s really difficult to answer that question, because the facts are still sketchy.

California Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Oversight & Government Reform Committee, issued subpoenas to the DOJ for every shred of paper connected to “Operation Fast and Furious.” Holder may also be subpoenaed to testify before the committee to determine Holder’s involvement and knowledge.

This is a serious scandal; lives have been lost. The members of government we chose to represent us are telling lies to the American people. The lack of alignment of Obama’s statements with Attorney General Holder’s cause me great concern, as this inconsistency is proof that either one hand doesn’t know what the other is doing, or the president and attorney general are complicit in the violation of international and federal law in the allowance of arms to be transported across international lines.

It doesn’t really matter which of those answers is the right one. Even if there is somehow another answer, none of them should instill confidence into voters and citizens, and each of us should be demanding truthful answers and accountability.

If these men want to keep their jobs representing us, they need to answer some serious questions and be held responsible for their decisions. Ultimately, ignorance is not a valid excuse for any of the president’s men, or even himself. The buck stops with the president. This scandal could be the downfall of Obama’s presidency, especially if we aren’t given answers.

Reach the columnist at page.gerrick@asu.edu

×