America’s propensity toward unhealthy habits should not be a news flash to anyone.

Many recent studies have shown that Americans don’t eat nearly as well as they should or get enough exercise on a regular basis.

A recent U.S. News and World Report survey found that only 33 percent of adults eat the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables every day.

In addition, USA Today reports that 40 percent of adults have no regular physical activity built into their schedules. Given that a balanced diet and exercise are two important factors in staying healthy, these are troubling statistics.

College students often point to their hectic schedules as a reason for not eating healthy and not getting enough exercise.

After all, when students are in the midst of difficult homework, hitting the gym or making a salad are pretty low on the priority list.

However, learning to make time for a healthy lifestyle, even when you’re stressed, is essential to forming good healthy habits in the workplace. In fact, making time to be healthy can actually improve your productivity and lower your stress level.

In a recent interview, billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson claims that exercising consistently is his secret to productivity.

He estimates that his frequent workouts add about four hours of productivity to his day in terms of energy. While making time for a brisk jog around campus certainly will not make you a billionaire, it could definitely help your energy level and overall health.

If your experience is similar to Branson’s, this may mean finding the energy for one more homework session in a day. Think of how that could help you get more done during the week, saving your weekend for just fun.

Staying healthy doesn’t take time so much as it takes planning.

Rather than grabbing a candy bar or soda at the Memorial Union on your way to class, buy a bulk bag of dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries and bring a handful with you in the morning.

Make sure to put exercise into your schedule, rather than just hoping you’ll have time for it.

Now that the weather has cooled down, grab a friend and go running in the morning or afternoon. Involving a friend in your exercise will make you much more likely to stick to the schedule and makes it fun too.

If you still catch yourself saying you don’t have time, remember that staying healthy is an obligation to you.

So many of the deadlines college students face are obligations to other people.

Finding the time to eat right and exercise is a great benefit not only in college, but also in life after graduation.

Start making yourself a priority.

Reach the columnist at emily.muller@asu.edu

×