Cal vying to spoil football’s Pac-12 hopes

Big Game vs. Stanford
Big Game vs. Stanford 2011

Check out more photos from Saturday's game against U of A in this slideshow. OR Were you in the student section for the game? See if The State Press caught you cheering on the Sun Devils in this slideshow.

The California Golden Bears will not win the Pac-12 North and have already lost to rival Stanford, but there is still plenty to play for in the season finale on the road against ASU.

“The message is we need to finish strong,” Cal coach Jeff Tedford said. “There’s still a lot to play for, guarantee a winning season, position for a good bowl game, and the pride of finishing strong in conference play.”

Although the Golden Bears (6-5, 3-5 Pac-12) are coming off a disheartening 31-28 loss in “The Big Game,” they will head to Tempe playing some of the best football they have played all year. Cal has won two of their last three games and has outscored opponents 81-41 over the past three weeks.

Not only are the Golden Bears playing well of late, but Tedford’s teams seem to have the Sun Devils (6-5, 4-4) figured out. They have beaten them seven times in the past eight years, including three straight victories.

Last season, in Berkeley, Calif., the Bears handed the Sun Devils a 50-17 defeat, but Tedford believes this year’s contest will be a lot closer because of the challenges the ASU offense presents.

“They do such a good job of spreading you out and getting dangerous guys in space,” Tedford said. “They’re really athletic and anytime you get in space like that, it forces you to be really good tacklers. You need to be able to tackle in the open field.”

While the Cal defense looks to wrap up and limit the big plays the ASU offense is capable of making, the Golden Bears defense led by juniors quarterback Zach Maynard and running back Isi Sofele.

Maynard, who has thrown four touchdowns and one interception since his four interception performance against UCLA, has completed over 60 percent of his passes in each of the past two weeks and has thrown 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions on the season.

While Maynard’s numbers have been a big inconsistent, sophomore receiver Keenan Allen has been consistent throughout the season. Allen has six receptions or more in 10 of his team’s 11 games. He also leads the team with 84 receptions, 1200 yards and six touchdowns.

Maynard and Allen allow Cal to accomplish a lot via their passing attack, but Cal’s running game does not get the attention it likely deserves.

Sofele may not be regarded as one of the best backs in the country, but Oregon State coach Mike Riley said Sofele was the best running back in the conference earlier this week. Sofele has eclipsed the 100 yard mark four times this season and reached the end zone eight times this season on the ground.

Cal has the talent necessary to compete with the Sun Devils, but emotions are a big part of football and it is unclear where the Golden Bears’ emotions are at right now.

The Cal football team is coming off an emotional loss to their rival and Riley believes it would be naïve to think there will not be any lasting effects of that game; however he does believe his team will be ready.

“We understand Arizona State is a very good football team and we’re going to need to be motivated and play really good football to be successful,” Tedford said.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×