Seconds before I started writing this dish on how ASU should hire Mike Leach, the Washington State Cougars snatched him.

Stunning isn’t it? A coach who has never finished worse than 7-6 is going to a school that hasn’t had a winning season since 2003. Is he going to turn them around and make them into the team that went to the Rose bowl in 2012? Who knows?

The real question here is where was ASU? How did they let a coach who has shown the ability to just pull out the “W” fly away from the desert paradise that is Tempe to go to Pullman?

There will be a lot of questions directed toward the athletic department. While there are still many viable candidates out there, Leach was seen as a guy who could turn everything around quickly.

A new coach might need to be appointed soon though as there isn’t much time for delay, with jobs like UCLA and Penn State up for grab.

All that is sure is that the new coach will need to impress Sun Devil fans as quickly as possible with a lot of talent on the team, new stadium plans being set and one of the best offensive minds in the game coaching for that school down South.

×