Erickson, players reflect on magnitude of rivalry

What makes rivalries so fun is that it never matters what the teams’ records are heading into the game. It’s always an excuse to don your school’s colors and talk trash to your friends from the opposing team.

On Monday, five Sun Devils gave their own answer as to what the Territorial Cup game means to them and the state.

Coach Dennis Erickson: “It seems like in this state you’re either a Sun Devil or a Wildcat. Rivalries are like that. There’s bragging rights for a year for everybody who ever went to school at either of the schools and for the town.”

Junior quarterback Brock Osweiler: “This is why you sign up to play college football. It’s games like this that can make or break your year.  When I first came here, I can’t remember how many fans came up to me and said, ‘We don’t care what you do as long as you beat UA.’ I learned how important it is to the fans, it’s been a lot of fun and it means a lot to this football team. When you see Arizona on the schedule you get up and play.”

Redshirt senior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad: “It is a huge thing for the state of Arizona. It seems like the whole state divides during this week. You have a lot of people who went to UA and ASU so it's a huge thing for the state, this university and our football team. We're looking to get back on the right track and we still have a chance to clinch the South, so we're really looking forward to it. This is another opportunity to go out there as a Sun Devil; I don't have too many of them left. I've really enjoyed my time here, I love my teammates and it's just another opportunity to go out there with them in front of the home crowd in a big-time game, so I'm excited about it."

Redshirt senior offensive tackle Dan Knapp: “It’s inspiring to the players, we have to carry on what we did last year. This is as big as it gets. It’s a lot of fun and there’s a lot of emotion. I want it to continue and I want the same thing to happen this year.”

Redshirt senior defensive tackle Bo Moos: “It is really significant. I think it is one of the bitterest rivalries. I grew up around a rivalry, The Civil War, and I don't think it comes close to this one to be honest. I think this is the biggest. Hearing what people have to say to you when you walk into their stadium, it's a big rivalry. Last year obviously jumps out. It's probably the best memory I had as a Sun Devil. When James Brooks got up there and blocked it and then we all ran on to the field after a hard fought battle knowing that we had won it.”

Redshirt senior linebacker Colin Parker: “I grew up a Sun Devil fan, it’s always the biggest game of the year and I’m excited to play in it. It really brings the whole state together. It something everybody is interested in. It’s going to be a fun one.” Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×