Football coach Dennis Erickson fired, will stay for bowl game

ASU coach Dennis Erickson is escorted off the field after the Sun Devils' loss to UA on Friday. Erickson was formally relieved of his duties Monday, but will coach ASU at a bowl game. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

For the second time since 2006, the ASU football team will search for a new coach.

Vice President for University Athletics Lisa Love announced Monday current coach Dennis Erickson will not return in 2012,  but will lead the Sun Devils in their bowl game in December.

"We are grateful for the service Dennis and his staff provided for the past five years," Love said.  "Even during the most difficult times, he represented ASU with dignity.  As he pursued success at the highest level within the Pac-12 conference, he improved the overall competitive health of the Sun Devils by attracting tremendous players to the University.  With the confidence earned by his remarkable career, he never doubted the capability of ASU to compete for the Rose Bowl."

ASU started this season 6-2, but lost its last four games of the regular season despite being favored in each.

Erickson won a share of the Pac-10 title in 2007 and earned the conference's coach of the year award as a result. The Sun Devils began that season 8-0 but Erickson's teams went 23-30 since then. In ASU's last four regular seasons, the team had a .500 record or worse.

Erickson's career began in 1982 and his 179 career victories ranks sixth most among current coaches.

"I would like to thank the administration of ASU for giving me the opportunity to coach and direct the football program for five years," Erickson said in a statement. "I also want to thank the players and my coaching staff.  I am proud of what we accomplished in five years. The program is in good shape for the next coach.

"Lastly, I would like thank the fans and especially the students for their support," he said. "ASU is a great university and a great place to go to school.  I will always cherish my memories here."

In 2006, when former ASU coach Dirk Koetter was fired, Love took two weeks before introducing Erickson, who was at the helm of Idaho at the time.

With 24 seniors leaving Tempe after the bowl game, keeping as many of Erickson's 25-man recruiting class as possible will be a priority for the next hire. ESPN.com ranks the class as No. 20 in the nation.

×