IT TAKES TWO

(In response to Thania Betancourt’s Nov. 18 article, “Palestinian representative says ‘two-state solution’ is answer to conflict.”)

Israelis and Palestinians both have the right to live in peace and security. Both have a right to freedom of religion, press, sexuality and expression.

It’s a shame that only Israelis are given those rights. The Palestinian community is forced to be fed lies and propaganda: having parks and schools named after Palestinian suicide terrorists, creating television shows for children dismissing Israel’s existence and indoctrinating youth to seek Shahada (martyrdom).

The responsibility lies solely on the Palestinian governments to correct these fabrications.

The only thing more disgusting than these examples is ASU’s invitation of a Palestinian Liberation Organization representative who was quoted in a controversial September USA Today article saying that Israelis would not be allowed in the new “Palestine.” This is while the Israeli Arab population — 20 percent of Israel’s population — will continue to be welcome in Israel even if an Arab state is created.

Peace comes when both parties are willing to make sacrifices. Israel has sacrificed so much in land, lives and money and is willing to sacrifice more if necessary.

I would like to see a day when “Palestine” exists due to Palestinians not cherishing death, but rather finally valuing life and all it has to offer.

Hayley Magerman

Undergraduate

×