Lucky Strike Lanes offer more than just bowling

Courtesy of Lucky Strike Lanes
Courtesy of Lucky Strike Lanes

“Experience pure energy.” That is the tag line for the home page of Lucky Strike’s website, and when they say pure energy, they mean it.

Customers are greeted at the door by a hostess and have the option to either bowl or have a bite to eat. Guests who are of age can also loosen up with a drink before lacing up their bowling shoes. Lucky Strike has two bars in the bowling alley alone, not including the bar in the separate lounge.

Those who feel that bowling is not the kind of Friday night excitement college students crave may want to reconsider. Lucky Strike feels more like a night club than a bowling alley, even at 4 p.m. on a Tuesday.

Lucky Strike has pimped itself out with 12 lanes, a four-lane private suite, six 42-inch television screens, three bars, a lounge area, billiards, plush seating and, on the weekends, a DJ. Nonstop music videos played on the weekends have more guests dancing than bowling.

The place has a history of giving customers the rock star treatment. Lucky Strike first opened its doors in April 2003 in Hollywood after the legendary Hollywood Star Lanes, where shooting took place for the film “The Big Lebowski,” was replaced with a school building.

Out of respect for Hollywood Star Lanes, Lucky Strike in California purchased Lane 7 from the original bowling alley to the stars and turned it into their bar. The bar has been good luck ever since.

Since 2003, Lucky Strike has opened 19 locations nationwide. Lucky Strike staff members said the Phoenix facility opened its doors about a year ago.

Lucky Strike has an impressive list of celebrity clientele. The bowling alley has hosted recording artists like Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, Gwen Stefani and Jon Bon Jovi to film stars like Drew Barrymore, Sandra Bullock, Ashton Kutcher and Vince Vaughn.

More impressive than their celebrity clientele, though, is Lucky Strike’s support for the arts. Each bowling alley houses works from artists such as Brian Rasza, George Smith, Fawn Gehweiler and many more. The art hangs on the walls surrounding the lounge and bars and adds an extra pop of color and creativity to the already vibrant atmosphere.

To bowl with the stars, you have to look like a star. Lucky Strike enforces a dress code in order to maintain the A-list vibe that sets them apart from other bowling allies. Athletic wear of any kind, including shorts, jerseys, sweats and hoodies is forbidden, along with work boots and certain head gear.

Lucky Strike is located at 50 W. Jefferson St. in Phoenix and is open Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to midnight. On Fridays and Saturdays, they stay open until 2 a.m. After 9 p.m. no minors are admitted. Reservations are not required, but are strongly recommended, especially on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

Reach the reporter at cemurph2@asu.edu

×