Police Beat: Nov. 14

• A 25-year-old Mesa man was arrested Monday at the 2000 block of West University Drive on suspicion of third degree burglary, according to a police report.The man was at a QuikTrip when he went through the restricted “employees only” entrance of the freezer section, took 40 ounce bottles of Steel Reserve and Mickey’s Fine Malt Liquor and placed the items in his backpack, police reported.

After the man proceeded to walk out the front entrance of the store without paying, a store clerk discovered the missing items and contacted Tempe Police, according to the report.

At a later time police found the man and arrested him before transporting him to Tempe City Jail for booking where he was held to see a judge, police reported.

• An 18-year-old Chandler man was arrested Monday at the 900 block of East Broadway Road on suspicion of marijuana possession, according to a police report.When a Tempe Police officer pulled the man over during a vehicle stop on Broadway Road, the officer noticed a plastic bag with a green leafy substance sticking out of the glove box after the officer asked to see the man’s license, registration and insurance, police reported.

The man noticed the visibility of the bag and immediately closed the glove box, forgetting to grab the items asked for, so the officer asked the man what was in the bag, according to the report.

The man first said it was nothing but also it was not his; afterward, the man told the officer the bag contained marijuana, but it still wasn’t his, police reported. He also said there was a pipe in the glove box as well, but it did not belong to him, police reported.

The officer conducted a search of the man’s vehicle and found the plastic bag with marijuana, an orange container with marijuana and a multicolored glass pipe, according to the report.

The man was placed under arrested and during further questioning the man told the officer he held the items for a friend and had planned on returning it to him later in the night, police reported.

The man was transported and booked into Tempe City Jail and was released pending drug charges, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×