Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 22-year-old transient man was arrested Friday near Apache Boulevard and McClintock Drive on suspicion of narcotics possession, according to a police report.Police saw the 22-year-old man and another man crouched behind a trash bin and when an officer contacted the men, they began running, according to the report.The men were eventually detained by another officer after running through two parking lots and jumping over two walls, according to the report.

Police asked the 22-year-old why he was running and he said, “Because I was using dope,” according to the report.

The man admitted to injecting heroine just before police arrived, and said he had the syringe in his pants pocket, police reported.

Along with the syringe, a small ball of black tar heroine wrapped in tin foil was also found in the man’s pocket, according to the report.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and released pending charges, police reported.

• A 49-year-old Mesa man was arrested Saturday at a Walmart Supercenter on the 800block of Southern Avenue on suspicion of burglary, second degree criminal trespassing and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.The man entered the Tempe Walmart with stolen items from a Walmart in Mesa and attempted to return the items with a stolen receipt.When the man was told the items could only be reimbursed on the purchasing credit card, the man lied saying the receipt’s credit card was an ex-girlfriend’s, police reported.

When confronted by store security, the man said he would keep the items, according to the report.

As observed by store security and employees, the man then walked around in the store and took three items after consulting other receipts in a notebook, according to the report.

The man then attempted to leave the store, but left one item on the service counter and gave the second item to an employee after it set off the alarm, police reported.

Security stopped the man after he attempted to leave without paying for the third item and he then admitted to the theft scam, police reported.

The man also admitted to another theft in Mesa, but couldn’t remember the date, according to the report.

The man admitted to having a drug problem and after being Mirandized, he said, “I needed to be stopped.”

After being arrested, the man was found to be in possession of two used clear pipes with an unidentified residue, police reported.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Brennan Smith and Caitlin Cruz. Reach the reporters at brennan.j.smith@asu.edu and caitlin.cruz@asu.edu

×