Police Beat: Nov. 21

ASU Police reported the following incidents on Friday:

• A 28-year-old Tempe woman was cited Tuesday morning on suspicion of driving without current registration, a driver’s license or proof of insurance at South Mill Avenue and West 10th Street, according to a police report.

The woman was driving a black Kia Soul when a university police officer pulled her over on Mill Avenue, police reported. Before the officer approached the vehicle, he ran a background check of the woman’s license plate, which revealed an expired registration, according to the report.

After approaching the car, the officer asked the woman if she knew her registration was expired but she replied that she had paid $300 the day before to renew her registration, police reported. When the officer asked to see her proof of transaction as well as her driver’s license and insurance card, she was unable to locate them and said she might have left her wallet at home, police reported.The woman told the officer there was no chance her license was suspended but a warrant check proved otherwise, police reported. The woman said she was on her way to pick up her boyfriend from the Tempe City Jail after he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, according to the report.

ASU Dispatch reported that Scottsdale Police cited the woman for not complying with reasonable or prudent speed sometime during the summer, police reported. The citation was mailed to her on July 19 but the woman said she had moved back in with her parents prior to that date so it might not have gotten to her, according to the report.

The officer placed the woman under arrest, conducted a search of her person and sat her in the back of a patrol vehicle while another officer completed a Vehicle Disposition Report so the Kia Soul could be impounded, according to the report.

The woman was cited and released, police reported.

• ASU Police is awaiting positive identification of a female driver suspected of criminal damage Tuesday at a parking garage on the 400 block of North Central Avenue, according to a police report.A witness told an ASU Parking Field Operations Supervisor he saw the woman drive her silver Chrysler 300 into the parking garage and reverse it into a lowered gate arm, breaking it in half, police reported.The witness said the woman searched for a parking spot on the first level before changing direction and parking on the second level, police reported. However, because the witness was only on the first level he did not see where she parked on the second level, according to the report.University Parking Services personnel were able to view the incident from security camera footage and track down the vehicle in the parking garage, police reported. ASU Parking personnel left a note on the vehicle warning the woman to contact them or else the car would be towed and impounded, police reported.Parking Service officials saw fresh white paint on the driver’s side taillight, which came from the broken gate arm, police reported. Parking Service personnel said they would pursue civil action against the woman for repair of the gate arm, according to the report.

ASU Parking also plans on issuing a $150 citation for the property damage, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×