Police Beat: Nov. 3

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 22-year-old Tempe man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of aggravated assault on a police officer at Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital, according to a police report.

The man was in a hospital bed being treated for a cut on his arm when he began threatening to stab himself with a pair of scissors, police reported.

As a nurse yelled for help, two Tempe Police officers, already at the hospital for an unrelated incident, attempted to remove the scissors from the man’s right hand, according to the report.

After the man spit in an officer’s face during the struggle, police were finally able to pull the scissors away from him and put the man in hospital restraints, police reported.

At a later time, police questioned the man and he told them he was unaware of what had happened because of several mental issues, according to the report.

The man said he had forgotten to take his prescribed medication the day before, police reported.

The officers and the nurse were not harmed during the incident and the man was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking, according to the report.

• A 23-year-old Tempe man was arrested on suspicion of first degree trespassing at the 1100 block of West Baseline Road on Tuesday morning, according to a police report.

The man entered another man’s apartment bedroom after breaking the window, which woke the sleeping resident, police reported.

The resident ran into his roommate’s bedroom for assistance and they contacted Tempe Police, according to the report.

The residents said they did not know the man nor did he have permission to be in their apartment, police reported. The two will aid in prosecution, according to the report.

When police arrested him, the man appeared to be extremely intoxicated and told police he thought he was in his apartment at the same complex, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital for medical assistance for lacerations from breaking the window and was also treated for his extreme level of intoxication, according to the report.

The man was later booked and held to see a judge at Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×