Police Beat: Nov. 7

Tempe Police reported the following incidents on Friday:

• A 37-year-old Tempe man was arrested on Tuesday at the 800 block of East Southern Avenue on suspicion of dangerous drug possession and of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.Witnesses saw the man outside of Walmart acting suspiciously near parked bikes next to the building, police reported.A Tempe Police officer arrived on scene to investigate the situation when the man fled on foot into the store, even after being told to stop running several times by the officer, according to the report.

At one point, as the man continued to run from the officer throughout the store, the man threw his black fanny pack, which was originally hanging over his shoulder, onto the floor, police reported. The officer detained the man, after he eventually caught up to him and recovered the thrown fanny pack as well, according to the report.

The officer searched through the man’s fanny pack and found a small cloth pouch, which contained a clear glass pipe; the officer also found a plastic pink bottle with a straw that contained a clear plastic bag with methamphetamines, police reported.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail and was released pending drug charges, according to the report.

• A 22-year-old Cave Creek man was arrested at the 1200 block of East Spence Avenue on suspicion of marijuana possession on Wednesday morning, according to a police report.Tempe Police originally stopped the man for trespassing on private property and after an officer questioned the man, he admitted to having marijuana in his possession and gave the officer permission to search her person for any contraband, police reported.Police arrested the man and transported him to Tempe City Jail for booking and was released pending drug charges, according to a report.
  • A 21-year-old Mesa man was arrested on suspicion of marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia at the 2000 block of East Apache Boulevard on Thursday, according to a police report.The man was at the Apache Station Apartment complex parking lot when a security guard noticed the man going up to vehicles, and it turned out the man was just putting advertisements on car windows, police reported.The security guard asked the man if he could conduct a search of his person to make sure the man didn’t possess any weapons, which the man agreed to, according to the report. A glass pipe was found in the man’s jacket pocket, and the man pulled out a plastic bag with about a gram of marijuana from his shorts pocket, police reported.

The security guard notified Tempe Police and when they arrived the security guard handed over the contraband to the officers and questioned the man about the items, according to the report.

The man told police he had purchased the marijuana from a friend for $10 and also said he had been trying to obtain a medical marijuana card for his ulcer and anxiety but hadn’t had the chance yet, police reported.

The man also told police he smoked earlier in the day with the pipe and admitted to smoking all the time, according to the report.

Police transported the man to Tempe City Jail and was booked and released, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×