Police make arrest in West campus shooting

A man ASU Police suspect is responsible for firing a handgun at a group of students on the West campus on Nov. 3 was arrested Wednesday afternoon in Phoenix.

Cmdr. Jim Hardina said ASU Police detectives and Phoenix Police worked together in finding 26-year-old David Huynh at his Phoenix residence.

Police believe that on Nov. 3 Huynh, who was driven by a friend around the West campus, fired a single shot at students at the volleyball courts near the Las Casas Residence Hall. No one was harmed or injured during the incident, according to a police press release.

Police searched for two male subjects driving a red four-door Chevy Aveo with a partial license plate provided by witnesses. Authorities located the driver of the vehicle, who happened to be a minor, and gave officers information regarding Huynh.

The minor is not being charged at this time because he told police Huynh forced him to drive the vehicle around the West campus but didn’t tell him he was planning on firing his gun, Hardina said.

After police obtained a search warrant for Huynh’s home and found his 9mm semi-automatic handgun, they arrested Huynh. Police also say he confessed to firing the gun at the students.

Hardina said Huynh was booked on six charges, including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×