With a rivalry game you can throw the stat book out the window.

The ASU volleyball team went into their Tuesday match against UA with nothing to lose. Their only goal was to come out and beat their bitter rival on their home court.

UA had a lot to gain by beating the Sun Devils. With a win the Wildcats could improve their chances of entering the NCAA tournament.

ASU did not help their chances early in the match. The Sun Devils lost a close first set losing by only four points.

Then they came out flat to start the second set and lost 25-12.

Coming out of the locker room ASU bounced back early in the third set. The Sun Devils went up 4-0 with the help of an ace by sophomore libero Stephanie Preach.

But the Wildcats rallied back to bring the score close. The third set featured a classic back and forth match with eight tied scores and two lead changes.

Junior middle blocker Erica Wilson kept the Sun Devils in the game with an impressive third set. She had eight kills at the end of the night.

After a long rally ASU was awarded their 25th point and they took the set. UA players were not happy with the call and talked to the judges after the play.

The Wildcats were now up 2-1 and the Sun Devils entered into the fourth set still down to their last set.

Junior outside hitter Sarah Clause came off the bench for the Sun Devils in the match. She really attacked and made her presence known in the fourth set. Clause finished the night with five kills for the Sun Devils.

ASU kept the game close in the early serves. The Sun Devils tied the score at 7 after a Wilson kill.

Later in the match the Wildcats when on a 7-0 run to increase their lead.

The run forced ASU to burn their final timeout.  When the Sun Devils returned to the floor they responded well and went on a 3-0 run to bring the score to 18-11.

Despite the late rally the Wildcats ended up winning the set and taking the match 3-1.

It was the last match for UA seniors: outside hitter Marketa Hanzlova, outside hitter Courtney Karst and middle blocker Cursty Jackson.

Both Jackson and Karst had impressive senior nights. Karst finished with 18 kills and Jackson ended the night with 17.

The Sun Devils return home to face the Wildcats again this Saturday at Wells Fargo Arena.

It will be the last game of the season for the Sun Devils and the last game ever for the seniors on the team.

The team would like nothing better than to avenge their loss on Tuesday night with a win this Saturday.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×