Volleyball fends off Utah, Colorado at home

FIRST SWEEP: ASU redshirt sophomore Ashley Kastl spikes the ball against her opposite number during the Sun Devils’ win over Colorado on Friday. ASU defeated both Pac-12 foes over the weekend for the first time this season. (Photo by Samuel Rosenbaum)

The fourth time is the charm.

For the fourth time this season, the ASU volleyball team pushed their opponent to five sets. But unlike the last three matches, ASU finally came out on top, beating Utah in five sets.

Coach Jason Watson said that the team’s past experience helped them close out the Utes.

“We have been in these situations where have lost some five game matches,” Watson said. “You get to a point where you know how to respond better.”

It was a roller-coaster match for the Sun Devils. Each team played brilliantly, but also struggled at times.

Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Ashley Kastl stepped up late in the second set. She took charge of the offense and kept the Sun Devils in the match.

She finished the night with an impressive 27 kills.

Sophomore middle blocker Alexis Pinson said that Kastl inspired the entire team with her performance.

“It definitely helps because we see someone taking charge and picking up the intensity and energy,” Pinson said. “It’s hard not to follow along with her.”

Kastl, however, was greatly tested by Utah’s strong defense.

Watson discussed before the game that the Utes were a very successful blocking team. They closed 17 blocks to stifle the Sun Devil attack.

Watson said that the relationship with the setter and hitter is the key to defeating a strong block.

“Our set tempo and location needed to be better,” Watson said. “The set was inside a little too much and we were hitting into their block.”

Watson said that it was not the best that the team has played. But they found a way to win when things were not going well, and that shows how the team is resilient.

Buffs beaten

It seemed like there were two different ASU volleyball teams at Wells Fargo Arena on Friday night.

The team that started the match against Colorado did not look like the normal Sun Devils.

Coach Jason Watson said the change in schedule might have caused the Sun Devils to come out flat. They had to wait until 8 p.m. to take the court.

CU ended up taking the first set 25-23.

Poor serving hurt in the Sun Devils’ first set loss. ASU recorded four service errors to CU.

In the second set ASU returned to old form and beat the Buffaloes in a close set.

Then after the break the Sun Devils came out rolling. They never lost the lead in the third set and took the fourth set by six points to take the match.

Redshirt freshman outside hitter Kylee Terhune said the difference between the first set and the rest of the match was that ASU fix small errors that were hurting the team.

“We really hit our stride with the things that we needed to take care of,” Terhune said. “We definitely ended better than we started,”

The highlight of the night came from freshman setter Shannan McCready who played soccer in high school. A ball was sailing to the ground when McCready saved a ball by kicking it into the air.

“It was so low and my foot was right there,” McCready said. “I have decent control with my feet so I just popped it up.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×