ASU student reports groping

A female student recently told police she was the victim of a groping incident on the Tempe campus in early October.

The report comes more than three months after police arrested a man suspected of groping multiple women on campus last year, but police said it is unlikely the same person was involved.

The woman told authorities she was walking by the Student Recreation Complex at around 11 p.m. on a day in October — either Oct. 1 or 8 — when a man came up behind her, reached under her dress and grabbed her rear end with one hand. With the other hand he reached down the top of her dress, grabbing her left breast, according to an ASU Police report.

The woman told ASU Police the man fled after she kicked him in his leg and pushed him away while she screamed for help.

The woman said the incident occurred on a Saturday in early October but didn’t report it to police until Tuesday because she was too embarrassed, ASU Police Cmdr. Jim Hardina said. She could not remember the exact date of the incident, he said.

The woman described the man as white with brown hair, in his early 20s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing approximately 170 pounds, according to the report.

The woman also said when the man approached her, she could smell an odor of alcohol.

Hardina said it is unlikely that the suspect is in any way related to Filberto Salgado-Cirilo, a suspected groper who was arrested on Aug. 29.

Hardina said the pervious groper always rode by the female victims while riding his bike, while the most recent suspect was on foot.

According to the report, there are no leads, but if the suspect is caught, the woman told police she would be able to identify the man and would aid in prosecution.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×