Man with gun seen on south side of Tempe campus

A man with a gun was spotted near Hassayampa Academic Village on the Tempe campus Monday evening.

At approximately 5 p.m., two men entered a dorm room in Hassayampa, ASU Police Cmdr. Jim Hardina said.

Hardina desribed one man as a black male in his early 20s wearing a black hoodie and dark pants. The other suspect was also a black male, "a 16-year-old named 'Jimmy' who was wearing shorts," Hardina said.

It was unclear which man was holding the gun, Hardina said.

The two men forced their way into the student's dorm room and demanded the student's money, Hardina said.

"'Jimmy' and the victim were somehow acquanted," Hardina said.

The two men took $10 and fled to Lemon Street, he said.

At approximately 5:20 p.m., ASU Police issued an alert describing one of the suspects. Hardina told The State Press at 6:30 p.m. that the man with the gun may have had a tattoo on his cheek instead of his neck, as the alert had earlier reported.

Just after 5:40 p.m., ASU Police sent out the following alert: “ASU and Tempe PD receiving several sightings on south side of campus (in the) Rural and Apache area. Remain inside until further notice.”

ASU spokeswoman Julie Newberg said in a statement late Monday evening that ASU Police "detained an armed subject matching one of the subject's descriptions about one block from the scene on a city sidewalk."

The victim said the detained person was not involved.

At approximately 6 p.m., ASU Police confirmed that the reported sightings near Hassayampa, Vista del Sol and the Student Recreation Center fields were not the man.

No shots have been reported to be fired. At approximately 6:08 p.m., ASU Police gave the all clear, reporting that all sightings on and off campus have been false.

Stay with The State Press on Twitter for updates.

×