Police Beat: Dec. 2

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

A 37-year-old Tempe man was arrested at the 5000 block of Mill Avenue on Tuesday on suspicion of possession of dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

After the man was stopped for a bicycle violation, Tempe Police approached the man who was seen with something in his hands before he ran between two vehicles, according to the report.

After detaining the man, police found a red bandana under the front of one vehicle, police reported.

A glass methamphetamine pipe with a round bulb on one end with burnt white and black residue was inside the rolled up bandana, according to a police report.

Tempe Police also found a small flashlight in his pants pocket during a search, police reported. Inside the flashlight was a small clear plastic baggie containing a crystalline substance the officer believed to be methamphetamine, according to a police report.

Police also found a small black tin containing a substance believed to be methamphetamine, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail and released pending charges, according to a police report.

A 19-year-old Phoenix woman was arrested Tuesday at 5000 S. Arizona Mills Circle on suspicion of internal theft, according to a police report.

A JCPenney loss prevention manager at Arizona Mills Mall told Tempe Police audit control personnel noticed high amounts of money missing throughout the past nine days, police reported.

The loss prevention officer saw the woman via security camera conduct two cash transactions, according to the police report.

The video showed the woman place the cash into a moneybag at the side of the register instead of in the cash register till, according to the police report.

When she was unaccompanied by customers and employees the woman is shown in the video concealing the cash in her pants pocket, according to the police report.

The first transaction was $200 and the second was $600 in cash, according to the report.

The woman admitted to the theft and returned the cash immediately when confronted by the loss prevention officer, according to the report.

The woman voluntarily completed a written statement confessing to the thefts and stated she would return the rest of the cash, valuing $2,920, the following day, police reported.

The woman said she was stealing the money to save for an apartment and did not think the missing money would be noticed, police reported. The woman was booked into Tempe City Jail and was transported to Maricopa County Jail pending charges, police reported.

Reports compiled by Dan Oberhaus. Reach the reporter at doberhau@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×