Police Beat: Dec. 5

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Friday:

• A 21-year-old Chandler man was arrested Tuesday at the 8000 block of South Dateland Drive on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, according to a police report.Tempe Police had been searching for the man since Nov. 24 when he and another man allegedly shoplifted items at a store at the 7000 block of South Rural Road, police reported.Tempe Police arrested the other man that day and arrested the Chandler man in the evening, according to the report.

Police located the Chandler man on Nov. 24 while he was eating, and when the officer approached the man he threw his food at her face and ran away, according to the report.

After further investigation, police figured out where the man was staying and arrested him Tuesday, police reported.

The man admitted to assaulting the officer with his food because she grabbed his hand, which caused him to “freak out,” throw the food and then flee, according to the report.

The man said he didn’t realize what he had done was a serious crime, but knew running from police “was frowned upon,” police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail for booking, police reported.

It revealed the man also had an outstanding felony warrant from Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office for dangerous drug possession, according to the report.

• A 23-year-old Phoenix man was arrested on Nov. 28 at the 3000 block of West Colter Street on suspicion of a hit-and-run injury, according to a police report.The man had a heated argument with two friends at an apartment complex on the 4000 block of South Mill Avenue, police reported.When the man and one of the friends attempted to leave in the man’s car, another friend jumped out in front of the car in an attempt to strike the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier with his belt buckle and instead was struck by the moving car, police reported.

By the time Tempe Police and medical personnel arrived, the man had already fled to his home in Phoenix while the friend originally in the car stayed with the injured friend, police reported.

After the friends identified the man to police, officers contacted the man via telephone and the man said he drove off because he was afraid of getting in trouble, according to the report.

Police arrived at the man’s apartment where they arrested him and transported him to Tempe City Jail for booking, police reported.

The friend was transported to Tempe St. Luke’s hospital where examination revealed a fractured right wrist, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×