As the semester winds down and we focus our attention on final exams, Christmas shopping is perhaps the farthest thing from our minds. Most of us, if we are being honest, will admit that we won’t even begin our frantic, last-minute shopping until a few days before Christmas (or Christmas eve, if we are being really honest).

The last thing we want to think about at the end of the semester is how much money we will potentially have to spend on gifts; money that many of us probably don’t have. Fortunately, you don’t have to break the bank to fill your family’s stockings this Christmas. Here is a list of tips for savvy spending that is sure to lift your holiday spirits.

The first thing you can do to save yourself some green is to take your time while shopping. I realize this may seem next to impossible when many of us have spent the entire semester honing our procrastination skills, but trust me on this one. Allowing yourself a few extra days to look around and compare prices will help you avoid making what I call a panicked purchase — the gift you buy not because you think the recipient will love it, but because you have no gift for this person and no more time left to shop. The reality is that while shopping this way may take less time, you may end up spending more than you would have if you had actually looked for deals, and you may end up hating the gifts you get stuck passing out.

Tip number two is to know your number.  Have the dollar amount that you plan on spending in your mind before you hit the stores.  Capping off your spending at a price you feel comfortable with beforehand will help you avoid making purchases you may regret later. It also wouldn’t hurt to save up some money beforehand.

Be cautious when purchasing gifts with credit cards. It is much easier to overlook how much you are spending with a credit card compared to shopping with cash. If you will be shopping with a credit card, maintaining your budget becomes even more important. Know the maximum amount of money that you want to spend and do not let yourself surpass that amount.

If possible, purchase gifts from a catalogue or shop online. This will save you the frustration that comes along with trying to get all of your shopping done in the midst of the holiday rush. It also prevents you from being distracted and tempted by all of the items stores put out for the holidays. Don’t forget to factor in shipping fees before placing your order.

Lastly, remember the packaging. We are all old enough now to be wrapping the gifts we purchase ourselves. Doing this means buying the wrapping paper or gift bags on top of our actual purchases, so allow a little wiggle room in your budget for the trimmings. Also, if you will be cooking for people or bringing a food item to a holiday party, remember to save money for that as well.

Following these tips and saving a little more of your hard earned money will make your holidays less stressful and more enjoyable. We all know the old cliché. Gifts for the holiday season: x amount of dollars. Seeing the smiles of your family’s faces: priceless.

Reach the reporter at cemurph2@asu.edu

×