Women's basketball hopes to upset DePaul in consecutive seasons

Memories last a long time.

The last time the ASU women’s basketball team went head to head against DePaul it was a game to remember. The then No. 16 DePaul team came to Tempe to face the Sun Devils and the Sun Devils, who were heavy underdogs, rose to the challenge and upset the Blue Demons.

Coach Joseph Anders still remembers the game and some of the DePaul players will too.

“The game here a year ago was an unbelievable performance for our basketball team,” Anders said. “Now having that game back at their place I’m sure the players that did return remember that.”

ASU was led by seniors Tenaya Watson and Dymond Simon as each had over 20 points. The Sun Devils will not have their offensive scoring and leadership in this match up so different players will have to step up offensively when the Sun Devils square off against the No 23 Blue Demons.

The Sun Devils head out on the road after finishing finals and having a full week of practices with no games.

DePaul has had a strong season so far. They have only had two loses, one of which came to No. 6 Tennessee. Like the Sun Devils, the Blue Demons are undefeated at home this season.

Unlike the Sun Devils previous opponents, DePaul has a stronger inside presence.

Senior guard Maureen Mulchrone comes into this weekend after tying her career high with eight points against Princeton. DePaul sophomore forward Jasmine Penny also had one of her best games against Tennessee with 16 points.

The ASU front court has also been playing well as of late. In the past two games the Sun Devils have been led offensively by senior forwards Kali Bennett and Kimberly Brandon.

Brandon went off in their matchup against Illinois State scoring 16 points and collecting seven rebounds. In ASU’s last game against CSU Fullerton, Bennett had a double double with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The key to ASU’s success so far this season has been great defense. Anders said that pressure defense is the team’s main focus every game.

“That’s one thing that we talk about from the very first day, offense comes and goes," Anders said. "Defense is your main stay every single night. It takes no talent to give great effort and play outstanding defense.”

Both teams still have the taste of their last matchup in the back of their minds. For ASU, it is the sweet taste of an upset. For DePaul, the bitter remnants still remain.

Reach reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×