Women's basketball unable to upset DePaul

They call it an upset for a reason.

The ASU women’s basketball team came into their game against No. 23 DePaul with only one loss on the season which came to a ranked Rutgers team.

Now, the Sun Devils have two losses to ranked teams as the Blue Demons of DePaul beat the Sun Devils.

Last season ASU upset a DePaul team at home, this season the tides turned. With the home crowd on their side, the Blue Demons jumped out to a quick 9-0 lead.

At one point in the game the Sun Devils closed the lead to seven points, but DePaul showed why they are ranked in the top 25 as they went on a 18-5 run to take a commanding lead.

The Blue Demons never looked back and rolled to beat ASU 73-55.

All season long the Sun Devils' defense was one of the strongest components of the ball club. They ranked fourth in the nation in opponents field goal percentage at .299, but it was some kind of night for DePaul. The Blue Demons shot 46 percent in the game, the highest field goal percentage ASU has allowed all season.

It was a pretty successful rebounding night for the Sun Devils. They had a total of 42 rebounds, out-working the Blue Demons by 12 boards. But the Sun Devils could only turn their rebounds into 13 second chance points.

Turnovers were also a killer for ASU. The Blue Demons converted on a lot of ASU’s 20 turnovers. By the end of the night DePaul had 22 points off turnovers.

In the end it was an impressive scoring night for the Blue Demons.

Freshman guard Brittany Hrnyko scorched the net with 25 points. Forwards junior Katherine Harry and sophomore Jasmine Penny both scored 14.

ASU redshirt junior Janae Fulcher responded in the ASU front court. Fulcher was a bright spot in the loss with 16 points and seven rebounds.

ASU looks to bounce back after the loss next Tuesday when they face off against Army.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×