ASU professor announces his candidacy for Congress

Sen. David Schapira announced his candidacy to represent district 9 in Congress at the state capital Tuesday.  (Photo by Thania A. Betancourt)
Sen. David Schapira announced his candidacy to represent district 9 in Congress at the state capital Tuesday. (Photo by Thania A. Betancourt)

Sen. David Schapira, D-Tempe, announced his candidacy for Congress Tuesday on the front lawn of the Arizona State Capitol Building with the support of Sen. Leah Landrum Taylor, D-Phoenix.

Schapira said if elected, he would strive to provide more accessible and affordable higher education and support the DREAM Act, which would provide a path to citizenship for some illegal immigrants.

Running in the 9th District, Schapira will compete for his Party’s nomination against former Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Phoenix, who vacated her seat and announced her candidacy earlier this year.

Schapira represents District 17, comprised largely of Tempe and parts of Scottsdale. He has been a political science professor at ASU since 2007.

The 9th District was added after redistricting in 2011 reflected population increases from the 2010 Census.

“I cannot think of a better person than Schapira to be in Congress,” Taylor said. “We need someone in Washington that truly gets it.”

Schapira said he is focused on providing the American dream by giving everyone the opportunity to education.

“If a student wants an education they deserve access to quality education,” Schapira said.

John Fetherston, a public administration senior and David for Congress committee field director, said he likes that Schapira is the kind of guy that is always reachable.

“Oftentimes, our elected officials are intangible and not as accessible,” Fetherston said. “I know if he gets elected into Congress he will continue to be accessible to Tempe residents.”

He said Schapira would be an advocate for education and Arizona if elected as a congressman.

Schapira encourages young people to become involved in the political process, Fetherston said.

“I have always liked politics, but I especially like working with David,” Fetherston said.

Mathematics freshman Ian Neufer volunteers for Schapira’s campaign and said he supports the senator’s educational values.

Neufer said Schapira advocates for all levels of education.

“It’s good someone I support holds the same values I have,” Neufer said.

Reach the reporter at thaniab@asu.edu

×