Robinson, Parker accept all-star invitations

Gerell Robinson breaks a tackle during the Territorial Cup on Nov. 19. Robinson accepted an invitation to play in the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

ASU senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson took to his Twitter account earlier this week to express disappointment of not receiving an invitation to the Senior Bowl. He retweeted fans who supported his cause and tagged the Senior Bowl’s Twitter account.

On Thursday, Robinson collected a pretty good consolation prize: an invitation to participate in the East-West Shrine Game Jan. 21 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla.

As one of the most recruited players to come to ASU, Robinson played an important role with the Sun Devils since his freshman year. It wasn’t until 2011 when he finally hit his stride.

Robinson caught 77 passes for 1,397 yards last season to go along with seven touchdowns. In ASU’s bowl game against Boise State, he ended his Sun Devil career with a MAACO Bowl record of 241 yards.

“He’s a guy that made a move to receiver as a freshman and came in here and struggled at times as he adjusted to that position,” former ASU coach Dennis Erickson said last season. “He is one of the better receivers in our league now. The thing about him is he wants the ball (and) we get it to him. He’s big, he’s strong (and) he understands playing the game.”

Colin Parker

ASU senior linebacker Colin Parker became the third Sun Devil to accept an all-star game invitation when he decided to play in the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game on Jan. 16 at Kino Stadium in Tucson, Ariz.

Parker, who led the team and set a career high with 75 tackles, was an Honorable Mention on the All-Pac-12 team.

The team captain tied for third in the Pac-12 with three forced fumbles and recorded his first career interception in the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas.

Reach the reporters at tyler.emerick@asu.edu and william.boor@asu.edu

×