Gymnastics shines in Pac-12 opener over Cal

Leaving the jitters behind, the ASU women’s gymnastics team showed how talented they really are.

After an average season opener, the Pac-12 opener was full of energy and big improvements.

ASU beat Cal with a final team score of 195.250 to 194.050.

ASU (2-0, 1-0 Pac-12) took the lead early in the vault with 9.800’s from senior Callie Price and freshman Natasha Sundby. Senior Beaté Jones scored a 9.875.

Ranked No. 16 in the nation on the bars, the Sun Devils kept up their energy-filled performance when seniors Kahoku Palafox, Stephanie Hangartner and freshman Brianna Gades all perfectly stuck their landings, scoring 9.850, 9.825 and 9.800, respectively. Palafox was ranked No. 15 in the nation entering the event.

Riding the momentum into the beam routines, ASU extended its lead.

Jones scored a 9.800 to start them off and senior Madison Snowden took first in beam with a 9.825.

“I really felt like I came in here and I was confident because of the numbers I’ve done in the gym,” Snowden said. “I had really supported myself mentally and physically in practices. I was able to kind of relax, enjoy the team and kind of take it in. Since I am a senior, time is going pretty quick.”

It looks as if Snowden is coming into full form and will be a large contributor to the team’s success this year.

In a huge turnaround, ASU’s weakest event last meet was its strongest against Cal.

Sophomore Samantha Seaman crushed her career-high and scored a 9.825.

The meet’s all-around first place gymnast, Beaté Jones, finished things off for the team with a huge 9.875, winning both the vault and floor exercise events.

“I thought she did an amazing job, and she’s such a great leader for this team,” Snowden said.

“I’m trying to get better each meet,” Jones said. “I can get higher than a 39.300, and after that, I just want to stay consistent.”

Kari Ward, ASU’s main floor exercise coach, is on maternity leave, but coach John Spini has filled the void.

“I have just taken it upon myself to take a bigger coaching job and guide the girls on the floor,” Spini said.

When ASU plays at this level, the team shows it can compete with top-level teams.

“I thought the energy was good, but we have to keep building our confidence,” Spini said.

Cal junior Mariesah Pierce, who also took second versus UCLA, took second place in the all-around Friday night.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×