Dear Editor,

After the topic of the “individual mandate” reignited controversy in the recent Republican primary debate, it became clear that Republicans (and Democrats with Republican friends and colleagues) should consider this: ideologically consistent Republicans should support the individual mandate because it will eliminate the progressive nature of our health care system.

Health care in the U.S. is currently progressive, as the insured pay to treat both themselves and the uninsured. The uninsured are currently treated in “free clinics” or stabilized from serious conditions in hospitals. While costs of free clinics are borne by the tax payers, the costs incurred by hospitals are passed on to those who pay for medical insurance in the form of higher monthly premiums. This limits the individual freedom of the insured to spend their money howsoever they choose while disincentivizing responsible behavior of the uninsured as they have little fear of denial of treatment.

If every individual is forced to obtain health insurance, the progressive nature of the American healthcare system will be eliminated. This relatively non-progressive, “individual mandate” would treat all citizens equally, precluding individuals from being forced to pay for another’s coverage. Additionally, the disincentives that are so worrisome to some Republicans cease to be of any concern. Although the individual mandate forces one to spend their money in a particular way, so does the current situation. Therefore, Republicans should support the mandate as it does not cause any additional limits to individual freedom while ending the progressive nature of the current system.

Stephanie Rugolo

ASU alumna

×