‘Man on a Ledge’ provides unpredictable surprises

Courtesy of Summit Entertainment
Courtesy of Summit Entertainment

Pitchforks: 4/5

Starring: Sam Worthington, Elizabeth Banks, Jamie Bell, Anthony Mackie

Rated PG-13

Released: Jan. 27

For those who like to know exactly what’s going on at every moment of a situation, Summit Entertainment’s newest creation “Man on a Ledge” will cause utter panic.

Viewers will not be able to suppress anxious tendencies to bite their nails or cover their gaping mouths during the many intense scenes of this thriller. Before moviegoers set down their popcorn and drinks, the movie’s edgy plot will be underway.

The precarious man on the ledge Nick Cassidy is played by Sam Worthington, who starred in the thrilling fantasy “Avatar.”

Accompanied by a backdrop of dramatic music, Cassidy enters a hotel that serves as the setting for the remainder of his attention-grabbing scenes.

After a fancy last meal, Nick Cassidy mounts the ledge of a 21st story of the hotel. Left with only a handwritten letter, the onlookers and New York Police Department must quickly decode Cassidy’s motives and prevent his suicide.

Even for those who are used to enthralling Hollywood flicks, this one is a constant jaw-dropper.

Well-intertwined foreshadowing and effective flashback scenes help carry the plot from complete confusion to clarity.

Though the majority of the film centers around only a small square foot area on the ledge of a high-rise building, the story spans citywide.

Doubtful audiences may question what could possibly occur on one ledge of a high-rise building, but this is precisely what sets this movie apart from others.

Much like the popular television series “Prison Break,” each and every infinitesimal detail of escaping and scheming is prearranged by the innovative collection of characters. Though moviegoers are able to reason the mysterious activities at a certain point, the characters are generally unaware of the true motives for crime, which is similar in both the popular television series and this rousing crime movie.

Audiences can expect consistent revelations and frequent gasps. Even with what would seem to be a foreseeable next scene, no part is without a completely unpredictable turn.

Though the movie appears to have a tell-all trailer, many surprises await the viewers. Prepare to be on the edge of a seat throughout the entirety of this exhilarating movie experience.

Reach the reporter at ejnicho1@asu.edu.

×