Music fans eager to attend Coachella

Photo courtesy of The Coachella Valley Art Scene

All of the hype around Coachella’s lineup and ticket sales has been calmed. After nearly a year of waiting, those anticipating the 2012 Coachella Festival lineup get what they’ve been waiting for.

On Jan. 9, the announcement over the highly anticipated list blew up Facebook and Twitter feeds. Feedback of the newly released lineup has been overall very positive. Overall, there are 137 musical acts performing for the three-day event.

According to The Huffington Post, last year’s festival sold out within a week. This year, both weekend events sold out in one day. Fans are becoming more and more eager to witness the diverse musical talents that Coachella offers.

Since 1999, music lovers have flocked to Indio, CA to see the scores of bands and artists.

This is the first time in Coachella’s 13-year run that the festival will take place over two consecutive weekends. Coachella officials decided to extend the event’s duration due to high demand by customers and its popularity across the nation.

The three-day festival has bands on multiple stages all day, with the headliners playing later into the night on the main stages.

This year, The Black Keys will be headlining for both Fridays, Radiohead on Saturdays, and Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre will perform on Sundays.

Newly reunited bands Refused, At The Drive-In and fIREHOSE will be making appearances this April. Other highlights of this year’s lineup are indie sensations Bon Iver, Florence + the Machine, Arctic Monkeys and Jeff Mangum.

Coachella brings a wide variety of musical genres to its stages. Afrojack, Manchester Orchestra, M. Ward, Childish Gambino, Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, Explosions In the Sky and The Weeknd are proof of the different musical styles showcased in April. Everything from techno, rock and acoustic sessions will be covered at the festival.

The first weekend of the festival is April 13-15, and the second is April 20-22.

Reach the reporter at kmstark1@asu.edu

×