New dean strives to maximize College of Nursing and Health Innovation

Chris Colvin drives in the lane in a Dec. 7 game against Nevada. After serving a two-game suspension, Colvin has rejoined the Sun Devils. (Photo by Shawn Raymundo)

Teri Britt Pipe was named the dean of the College of Nursing and Health Innovation Friday and plans to work with faculty, staff and students to expand and improve certain areas of the school.

She had previously served as interim dean since June and as an adjunct faculty member since 2002.

Pipe said she hopes to provide students multiple points of entry to the competitive nursing program. The solutions include offering a bachelor’s of science in nursing and an entry option for Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.

Program enrollment is limited because of the amount of critical placements and the constrained faculty resource, she said.

“We are maximizing the program as much as possible,” Pipe said.

Becoming apart of ASU’s nursing program requires a rigorous entry criteria and application, she said.

There are roughly 2,000 nursing student applicants and only 1,400 will be rewarded with an entry to the nursing program, communications director Terry Olbrysh said.

“It really takes excellent students with excellent test scores and grades,” he said.

Pre-nursing sophomore Vanessa Waters, who is in the process of completing her nursing application, hopes her hard work will soon be rewarded by receiving one of the few available spots.

“Arizona State’s nursing program is exceedingly competitive and difficult to be accepted into,” Waters said. “However, the fierce competition forces us to work our hardest.”

Waters said the difficult requirements will ultimately ensure better nurses in the future.

Pipe is excited about the advancement made at the College of Nursing and Health Innovation by joining the Health Outcomes @ ASU.

The Health Outcomes @ ASU helps connect health departments and centers across the University in order to increase the overall impact in the community.

Reach the reporter at amhayne1@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×