Police Beat: Jan. 23

Tempe Police reported the following incident Friday:

• A 26-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested Thursday evening near 87th Way and Oak Street on suspicion of drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.Tempe Police officers saw the man get into a green Pontiac sedan, whose owner is known among police to sell heroin, police reported.The man and the driver drove around the block before the man was dropped off at the corner, according to the report.

Police contacted the man, who said he tried to buy heroin from the dealer in the Pontiac. He said he didn’t have enough money to purchase it, and the dealer wouldn’t “front him,” police reported.

The man also said he kept a needle, foil and spoon that contained heroin residue on it, according to the report.

The man was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail but released pending drug charges, police reported.

• A 40-year-old Mesa man was arrested Tuesday morning at Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital on suspicion of dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.A Tempe Police officer found the man lying on the sidewalk at the 1300 block of West Laird Street and, after finding drugs and paraphernalia on him, the officer had the Tempe Fire Department take the man to the hospital, police reported.When the hospital was preparing to discharge the man, a bag containing two hypodermic needles and a vial with methamphetamines fell out of the man’s pants pocket while the nurse was putting the man’s pants on, police reported.

According to the discharge papers from the hospital, the man was noted for cocaine abuse, according to the report.

Police began talking to the man and he said he had “recently” used illegal drugs, such as bath salts and methamphetamines, and that he injected them using the needles, police reported.

The man was arrested and transported to Tempe City Jail for booking but was released pending drug charges, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×