Police Beat: Jan. 9

A 50-year-old man was arrested Tuesday on Veteran’s Way just north of University Drive on suspicion of narcotic drug possession, according to a police report.

An ASU Police officer responded to an anonymous phone call regarding people in two pick-up trucks — one white, one black — cutting chains off of bikes at a bike rack at ASU Lot 59 and throwing the bikes into the bed of the black truck, police reported.

After conducting a search of the area, the officer spotted a white truck, which matched the description the caller gave, and pulled it over on Veteran’s Way, according to the report.

When the officer asked the man driving to provide his driver’s license, the man said he did not have it, so the officer had dispatch run a warrants check using the man’s name and date of birth, which revealed a suspended license and a warrant for arrest out of the Phoenix Police Department, police reported.

The officer searched the man’s truck for any contraband or tools that could be used in tampering with locks before impounding the truck, according to the report.

The man called his girlfriend to pick him up but she refused, police reported.

After Phoenix Police confirmed the warrant for the man’s arrest, the officer confiscated the man’s belongings in preparation to turn him over to Phoenix PD, according to the report.

While the officer was waiting in a Fry’s Electronics parking lot for Phoenix Police to arrive to take custody of the man, he searched through the man’s belongings and found a small plastic bag that read “BEST” on the front and had a white powder inside, according to the report.

The officer told the Phoenix Police officer of the discovery in the wallet and also asked the man if he knew the contents in the bag, but he said he didn’t and denied ownership of the bag, police reported.

After the man was handed over to Phoenix Police, the ASU officer continued to run tests on the contents of the bag, but the substance could still not be identified, according to the report.

An 18-year-old woman met with ASU Police Wednesday at the ASU Police Station regarding damage done to her vehicle, according to a police report.

The woman told police she had parked her blue 2004 Mazda 6 sedan on the north side of the second level of Parking Structure One on Dec. 19, but did not return to the vehicle until Tuesday evening, police reported.

The rear window had been broken, but nothing inside the vehicle was taken, according to the report.

The estimated cost of damage was $200 and there are currently no leads or suspects, police reported.

Reports compiled by Shawn Raymundo. Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×