There are moments in life that will live in infamy. Some are private, while others are shared collectively. Friend or foe, for or against, these moments are etched into our memories for the rest of our lives. Is the  re-release of "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" in 3D one of these moments?

I was in Peoria, Ill., when I heard that Phil Hartman was shot. On Sept. 11, 2001, I was in Bedford, Texas, asleep on the couch. I woke up thinking my friends were watching a movie. Not that the cultural relevance or emotional impact of a movie being re-released could ever be considered on-par with the tragedy of Sept. 11, but, you get the point. We associate theses memories with the time, place, who, what, when and where we are when we hear about them.

And where were you that fateful week in May 1999 when movie theaters across the country were accommodating  hordes of fans waiting with baited breath to acquire one of the most coveted and sought-after items of the time — Star Wars Episode I tickets.

I was, and had been in line for my pair of tickets since the night of May 10, 1999, the day singer-songwriter, poet Shel Silverstein died.

After we paid our respects, we headed for the theater to set up camp. It would be days before tickets would go on-sale, but we had our hacky-sack and the phone number to the nearest Papa John’s. We were ready for anything. Nothing could spoil our jubilation. Or so we thought.

We were the first in line, and over the course of that week, the line grew and grew. As it did, so too did our anticipation of one of Earth’s greatest saga’s to be born again, to be experienced in a brand new way — from the beginning. The “prequel,” as it would be referred, held all our hopes and dreams in the palm of its preverbal hand.

And like any delicate, beautiful creation, the crushing power of George Lucas is final. Death comes to us all, but Lucas found a way to take something that was once a proud and noble example of greatness achieved (Episodes IV, V and VI), and reduced the franchise to mere novelty if for no other reason then to help sell a few Happy Meals.

It seems that the worst examples of mankind take home more than they should. Thankfully Tom Brady and his New England Patriots lost the Super Bowl. But to make our point — or at least mine — George Lucas needs to face the reality he created — and destroyed. This Friday, go see “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.”

Though not in 3D, it stars Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, a miniature elephant and it won’t ruin all that you hold near and dear to your heart. Just because you can put something in 3D doesn’t mean that you should. And just because everyone “loved” what you “did,” doesn’t mean that you should keep going back to that out of desperation — or greed. Not Jedi sir, and certainly not the way of the Force.

Reach the columnist at jbfortne@asu.edu

×