Bennett, Major lead Sun Devils to victory over Huskies

Senior Olivia Major plays animated defense in a game against Washington on Feb. 16. Major led ASU with 14 points as the Sun Devils defeated the Huskies 47–41. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The ASU women’s basketball team started senior week the right way with a 47–41 win over Washington.

After a close battle in the first half, the Sun Devils (17–8, 8–6 Pac-12) came out with more defensive intensity, and their offense responded in the second half.

Senior guard Olivia Major said it was a key win at this point in the season.

“I think in the end, a ‘W’ is a ‘W,’ and we need ‘W's' right now,” Major said.

The Sun Devils shot 32 percent in the first half and went into the locker room with a 24–19 lead.

In the first several minutes of the second half, the offense took form.

ASU hit four unanswered baskets to put them up 35–21.

Senior center Kali Bennett said the team knew what they had to do at the start of the second half.

“The first four minutes of each half is always vital to how our games go,” Bennett said. “I think we made a really great second-half effort. We kind of just knew that we had to take control.”

The Sun Devils never lost the lead in the second.

ASU was able to hold onto its lead because of consistent defensive pressure.

Coming into the game, ASU was concerned about Washington’s (13–11, 5–9 Pac-12) top scorers, freshman guard Jazmine Davis and senior forward Regina Rogers.

Bennett guarded Rogers well, holding her to only 13 points. Rogers scored 20 points the last time UW faced ASU.

It seemed Bennett was determined to defend the block and not let Rogers get comfortable. Bennett said she was not happy with her defensive performance last game and wanted to play with more intensity this time.

Bennett brought more intensity. She broke the ASU single-game block record with nine blocks. It was a record she tied earlier this year against Utah when she blocked seven shots.

“I could try and downplay it, but it’s just a great feeling to know that I can help my team that way and impact the game that way,” Bennett said.

Bennett scored 10 points and was one rebound and one blocked shot away from a triple-double.

The Sun Devils’ defense held Davis to only 12 points, and she scored just two points in the second half.

ASU coach Joseph Anders gave credit to junior guard Deja Mann for wearing Davis down the entire game.

“Deja Mann set the tone against Jazmine (Davis) in that she stepped up and really, really pressured the kid early,” Anders said. “We are wearing teams down. When it gets to the second half, they just don’t have the legs to be able to compete and to finish off games.”

It was fitting that during senior week, it was a senior that stepped up offensively for the Sun Devils.

Major was deadly from 3-point land. She scored 14 points with four 3-point shots.

“I’m a shooter, so there’s nothing going through my head, just shoot,” Major said. “I’m not thinking about anything out there. I feel like that’s when I am at my best, when I’m not thinking.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×