It’s the final week of the regular season, and the Pac-12 is just as bad as when it started.

The conference still lacks a representative in either the Associated Press Top 25 or the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. Against ranked opponents in both polls, the Pac-12 is 0-12.

Most prognosticators cap their projected Pac-12 bids at three, though plenty of people suggest the conference will receive less than that.

The final week of the season will be critical for top teams fighting for positioning in the Pac-12 tournament. The top four teams will get a bye in the first round, which could prove to be helpful in capturing the automatic bid.

Here’s how the conference stacks up at this point in the season.

1.    California (23-7, 13-4 Pac-12)

The Golden Bears didn’t help their cause by getting blown out against Colorado on Saturday. Due to their win over Washington earlier in the season, they’re still holding down the top spot.

Cal’s final game is at Stanford on Sunday. If Cal doesn’t win the conference tournament, the Golden Bears need a good outing against the Cardinal to solidify a possible at-large berth.

2.    Washington (20-8, 13-3 Pac-12)

The Huskies close out their season in southern California against USC and UCLA. Both are games they should win —which would mean they’d be the top seed in the tournament — but they did need a comeback to beat the Bruins at home earlier in the season.

This is another team that should make the tournament if it takes care of business to close out the season and has a nice run in the Pac-12 tournament.

Say what you want about coach Lorenzo Romar, but his team has only lost three times since the calendar changed. Washington is a talented and athletic group.

3.    UA (21-9, 12-5 Pac-12)

The Wildcats have a shot at making the NCAA tournament.

They’re currently third in the conference and their final game is on the road at ASU, but they’ll likely need a win to secure a first round bye in the Pac-12 tournament.

UA is ranked No. 46 in the Sagarin ratings, ahead of Washington. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has UA making it to the Big Dance. Like California and Washington, it’ll matter how far the Wildcats go in the tournament, but they have a shot at capturing the automatic bid.

4.    Colorado (19-9, 11-5 Pac-12)

This is where teams have to win the Pac-12 tournament to have a shot at making it to the NCAA tournament.

Though Colorado beat California on Saturday, the Buffaloes likely won’t get in as an at-large bid. They’re No. 83 in the Sagarin ratings and No. 76 in Ratings Percentage Index.

Colorado closes out the season at Oregon and Oregon State with a shot at locking up a top four seed at the Pac-12s. The Buffaloes could make a run, but they are a long shot to win.

5.    Oregon (20-8, 11-5 Pac-12)

The Ducks are on the outside of a top four seed. They’ll close out the season against Colorado and Utah. Their RPI is just behind Washington at 53 — in front of UA and Colorado.

Oregon is a long shot to win the tournament as well, but it’s the only shot it’ll likely have to get into the NCAA tournament.

6.    UCLA (16-13, 9-7 Pac-12)

The Bruins wrap up their schedule against Washington State and Washington this weekend. Without much on the line, it’ll be interesting to see how sophomore center Joshua Smith closes out the season. Despite coming off the bench, he continues to get into foul trouble. He played less than 14 minutes in each game against ASU and UA last week and committed seven total fouls.

7.    Stanford (19-10, 9-8 Pac-12)

Since its three game slide earlier in conference play, Stanford hasn’t returned to form. The Cardinal also suffered a one-point loss to Utah last week. Now it’ll try to avoid being swept by California to close out the season.

8.    Washington State (14-14, 6-10 Pac-12)

The Cougars have lost three of their last four games, including a four-point defeat to Washington last week. They will play at UCLA and USC this week to close out the season, which are two winnable games for Washington State.

9.    Oregon State (15-13, 5-11 Pac-12)

It’s been a while since the Beavers tasted a victory. They’ve lost five in a row and went 1-6 in the month of February. Their only win last month came at Utah, which happens to be their next opponent. Oregon State will end the season at home against Utes and Buffaloes this week.

10.  Arizona State (9-20, 5-12 Pac-12)

The Sun Devils don’t have much to play for, but they can spoil UA’s pursuit at an NCAA tournament berth. They have a chance to win back-to-back games for the first time this season following their win against USC on Saturday.

11. Utah (6-22, 3-13 Pac-12)

Wins have been hard to come by for the Utes, but they picked up a conference victory last week against Stanford. One of the worst teams in the conference, Utah snapped an eight-game losing streak with that win. They’ll play at Oregon State and Oregon next week.

12. USC (6-23, 1-15 Pac-12)

Will the Trojans get their second conference win? It’s been a rough go around in conference play. They’ve also lost seven straight games. The streak started at Washington State and Washington, which USC will play to close out their schedule this week.

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×