Construction to cause detours of FLASH buses

Between Feb. 29 and March 23, construction will cause FLASH buses to temporarily stop at the University/Rural light rail station instead of along McAllister Avenue.

Flash

FLASH buses are being rerouted in some places starting Wednesday due to construction on McAllister Avenue. The new route will be in place through March 23.

Construction on the Tempe campus’s Interdisciplinary Sciences and Technology Building 4 will cause a detour of the FLASH system of local buses between Feb. 29 and March 23.

Construction will close McAllister Avenue Wednesday on both sides of Terrace Road. Each of the four FLASH shuttles will be detoured to the University Drive and Rural Road transit station.

Construction on ISTB IV, on the corner of McAllister Avenue and Terrace Road, has been underway since spring 2010 and is nearing its final stages.

ASU Parking and Transit services spokeswoman Sarah Mason said in an email the detours would not cause any more than a slight inconvenience to students who use the FLASH buses.

“This detour will not prohibit students from using the FLASH services,” Mason said. “It will simply temporarily change the stop locations.”

She said Parking and Transit Services did not decide to close McAllister Avenue or cause detours to the shuttles, which are part of Tempe’s bus system.

Four shuttles, the FLASH Forward, FLASH Back, FLASH McAllister Northbound and FLASH McAllister Southbound, will be temporarily rerouted to stop a little more than a block from their original routes. The street will also be closed to all traffic between Terrace Road and Lemon Street March 7 to 10.

Pedestrians will be able to walk unimpeded on the west sidewalk of McAllister Avenue during the entire construction period.

Correction: McAllister Avenue was misidentified in an earlier version of this story.

Reach the reporter at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×