Despite solid performances, Gym Devils fall to Fighting Illini

Senior Beaté Jones performs a floor routine in a meet against Illinois on Feb. 19. Jones placed second in the all-around and tied a career high 9.900 in the floor exercise event. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more gymnastics photos in this slideshow.

It may not have been a victory, but the Sun Devils took away their second best score of the season Sunday afternoon.

The No. 25 ASU gymnastics team (4–3, 2–2 Pac-12) posted a 195.525, but couldn’t quite top No. 18 Illinois’ (3–1–1, 2–1–1 Big 10) 195.775.

ASU senior Beaté Jones tied for second in the all-around with a 39.225.

However, in gymnastics, it is the overall team score that matters the most.

Still, it was the fourth meet that the Sun Devils scored above a 195.000.

“I would’ve felt great if we won,” coach John Spini said. “I thought my team worked really hard. We just have a couple little things we’ve got to keep doing better.”

Spini emphasized how important dismounts are going to be from here on.

“Dismounts have to become so easy that it just drops in, and they know they’re going to stick before they even get there,” Spini said. “It’s not something that just comes all at once.”

The Gym Devils started with the vault and scored a 48.800. Vault specialist senior Callie Price led the way and took second with a 9.825. Both freshman Natelle Gentile and senior Beaté Jones scored 9.775s.

ASU responded well on the bars after its two falls from last meet. Senior Stephanie Hangartner tied for second with a 9.825. Senior Kahoku Palafox stuck her dismount and took first, posting a season high 9.875.

The Gym Devils saw three gymnasts tie for second place on the balance beam. Jones, Palafox and freshman Brianna Gades all posted 9.800s. All three stuck their landings.

The floor exercise has become ASU’s most successful event all year.

This is partly due to the success of the freshmen on the floor. Morgan Steigerwalt and Natasha Sundby scored a 9.850 and a 9.825.

Two freshmen, Steigerwalt and Gades, currently anchor both the beam and the floor exercise events.

“It’s a great experience for us and for them, and at the end of the year, I think they are going to make a difference for us having a shot at nationals,” Spini said.

The big story on the floor, though, was Beaté Jones. She tied a career high with a 9.900, tying for first in the event.

Jones has been very consistent all season.

“She’s amazing,” Palafox said. “She’s an amazing teammate and gymnast, and that floor routine? She deserves that score, and she’s deserved it before and she’ll hopefully get it again.”

ASU’s gymnasts were energized against the Fighting Illini, and used it as a factor in each individual’s performance.

“Energy is a huge thing,” Jones said. “If I didn’t have some of them cheering for my last pass on floor, it would’ve been a completely different outcome I feel like, so energy has a huge part in how we do.”

Senior Kelsey Joannides of Illinois took first in the all-around with a 39.350.

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×