Gym Devils defeat Aggies in first road meet

Sophomore Samantha Seaman is cheered on by her teammates during her floor routine in a meet against Cal on Jan. 20. The young Gym Devils continue to progress in the early stages of the season. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

The Sun Devils recorded several career-high individual performances during their first road meet of the season.

The ASU gymnastics team (4-0, 3-0 Pac-12) beat the Utah State Aggies (2-5, 0-0 WAC) 194.600–192.575 on Friday.

Senior Beaté Jones took the all-around for the third meet in a row with a 39.175. She tied first for vault with a 9.825 and placed first on floor with a 9.875.

Jones may have stolen the show, but sophomore Samantha Seaman and junior Amelia Rew also posted huge numbers for the Sun Devils.

Seaman, who was not able to compete in the all-around until Jan. 27, had arguably the best performance of her career as she placed second in the event. She set a career high with a 39.075.

Seaman tied for first on vault and placed third in the floor exercise.

“She was really excited about the opportunity to do all-around tonight, and she came through,” assistant coach Tom Ward said.

Rew was a big contributor as well, reaching career highs on bars and beam with scores of 9.775 and 9.800. The scores placed her first on beam and third on bars.

New gymnasts stepped up for the Gym Devils in each meet.

“This team just responded like champions and faced adversity,” Ward said. “In this first road meet, the staff and team were totally confident.”

Senior Stephanie Hangartner led the bars squad, tying for first with a 9.800. Freshman Brianna Gades tied for third on the bars with 9.775.

Rew and senior Madison Snowden, who tied for second with a 9.775, led ASU’s beam events.

ASU’s bars and beam events are ranked in the national top 25, and each group scored a 48.775.

“I thought we did an amazing job, especially through all the obstacles we had to overcome,” Seaman said. “We pulled together as a team and did our job.”

The Sun Devils received contributions from freshmen that are expected to be key components to the Sun Devils’ success this year.

“After this meet in general, I think they’re doing really amazing,” Jones said. “They had confidence when they stepped out on the floor.

“They showed heart, and I was pretty proud of them. It was a lot different from what they’re used to, but they stepped up to the plate when they had to.”

Reach the reporter at gdemano@asu.edu

×