Mann sets career high in loss to Trojans

Deja Mann drives around a defender in a game against Utah on Feb. 9. Mann and the Sun Devils were swept on their southern California road trip. (Photo courtesy of Steve Rodriguez)

Saturday featured a classic Pac-12 battle between the ASU women’s basketball team and USC. The Trojans (16-11, 10-6 Pac-12) were able to make some clutch shots in the end to beat ASU (18-10, 9-8 Pac-12), 59–53.

Despite the loss, coach Joseph Anders said he was happy with the way his team competed.

“Our team battled as well as any team that I have ever been a part of,” Anders said. “Today, again, was another one of those battles where we emptied out. I can’t be more proud of them for the way in which they come out and give me everything that they have.”

USC started off the game hot, making a couple baskets early and going on an 11–0 run.

The Sun Devils responded later in the first half to take the lead 22–18 after a jumper by senior forward Kimberly Brandon.

Brandon and senior guard Olivia Major did not play in the Sun Devils’ game against UCLA earlier in the week, but they were on the floor against USC.

The Sun Devils were on a roll going into the break, but were unable to keep the momentum going for the rest of the game.

Senior forward Kali Bennett, who had nine points and eight rebounds in the loss, said the team needs to figure out how to keep playing consistently the entire game.

With 12 seconds to go, junior guard Deja Mann hit a clutch 3-pointer to cut the Trojans’ lead to four. Mann said she loves playing in close matchups.

“Those games are fun,” Mann said. “To me, those are the type of games that you prepare for to execute at the end.”

Bennett said the way ASU battled at the end showed the team’s true heart.

“Our team has always been known for being tough,” Bennett said. “If there is adversity, you kind of fight through. As much as we fought back and were tough at the end, their shots prevailed.”

As a team, ASU did not have a strong shooting night, shooting just 34 percent from the floor.

Mann kept the Sun Devils in the game offensively. The point guard broke her career high in scoring against the Trojans, putting up 22 points.

She was especially clutch near the end of the game, hitting three shots with less than two minutes left.

Mann said she was not keeping track of the amount of her points. She was only focused on the win.

“I just wanted to step up and be big for my team,” Mann said. “We needed a bucket, so I just put it on myself. I am going to go get this bucket. I just had to do what the team needed (me) to do.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×