Men’s basketball to face struggling Stanford on road

(Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)
(Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The last time the ASU men’s basketball team ended a home stand with a victory, it was blown out twice the following week.

The Sun Devils (7-14, 3-6 Pac-12) will try to avoid the same fate as they travel to northern California to face Stanford on Thursday.

ASU defeated Oregon State, 76–66, on Jan. 14 despite losing junior wing Trent Lockett during the game. His sprained right ankle kept him on the bench for the team’s two-game road trip at Colorado and Utah.

The Sun Devils fell flat in the two-game span. They lost by a combined 36 points against the Buffaloes and the Utes.

ASU snapped a three-game losing streak against Washington State Saturday, 71–67, in one of the Sun Devils’ best performances in Pac-12 play. It was the first game the team forced more turnovers than it committed.

Now ASU will again try to carry the momentum without Lockett. The Arizona Republic reports Lockett is doubtful Thursday against the Cardinal (15–6, 5-4 Pac-12), which means the Sun Devils will have to step up in his absence like they did against the Cougars.

ASU had four players in double-figures in its win against WSU. Junior wing Carrick Felix led the team with 20 points in the win. Junior guard Chris Colvin dropped 16 points, six rebounds and five assists in 40 minutes.

While the Sun Devils are coming off a victory, Stanford is winless during the past two weeks. The team got off to a hot start in non-conference play, but hit a skid in its last three games.

Until the Cardinal lost their last three games, the team had not lost consecutive games all season. They lost to Washington State, Washington and California on the road.

Senior forward Josh Owens, who averages 12.9 points, leads Stanford’s offense. He’s second in the conference in field goal percentage, shooting 60.2 percent.

Owens also leads the team in rebounding with 6.4 a game. The Cardinal are third in the Pac-12 in rebounding, averaging 37 boards per game.

This will be the only meeting between these two teams. Tipoff is scheduled at 7 p.m. PT on 620 AM.

Reach the reporter at mtesfats@asu.edu

×