Police arrest second suspect in Hayden Lane shooting

U.S. Marshals arrested Larry Dean Tellis Jr. Thursday, the second suspect in the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Allen Philip Cropper at Hayden Lane Apartments.

Tempe’s Homicide Squad and Criminal Apprehension Surveillance Team and U.S. Marshals tracked down 21-year-old Tellis in Vallejo, Calif., according to a Tempe Police press release from Friday.

Authorities arrested Tellis without incident or injury to officers or citizens.

Tempe Police detectives are waiting on a hearing to decide if Tellis will be extradited to Arizona from California, according to the release.

The second and final arrest came almost a month after the incident at the 1800 block of East Hayden Lane. Tellis and his friend, Blaine Griffin Jr., 20, are suspected of shooting and killing Cropper inside of his apartment during a drug exchange turned violent.

Two of Cropper’s friends were also present during the shooting and sustained minor injuries, according to a previous Tempe Police press release.

Tempe Police arrested Griffin Jan. 25, a week after the shooting, at his Phoenix home.

Griffin and Tellis were arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder and armed robbery.

Reach the reporter at sraymund@asu.edu

×